Thursday, July 19, 2012

Touring the Airstream plant.

This afternoon we drove to Jackson Center, OH to take a tour of the Airstream Plant.  When we pulled into the parking lot we noticed lots water standing from a recent storm. The tour started at the service center and was narrated by a retired employee.  The tour guide began his narration in a very monotone voice that caused my mind to drift and not pay full attention to what he was saying.  I know that wasn’t nice but I just couldn’t help it.  I looked over at John and he was almost asleep so I knew it wasn’t just me.   Now keep in mind the rain had stopped before the tour guide started talking.   The tour started with an information segment then a walk across two parking lots to the plant itself.  The tour guide droned on and on until….you guessed it…..heavy rain moved in again.  As the guide noticed the rain he informed us that he was sure the rain would blow over and that we would just have to wait until it passed or slacked up.   Ok, that sounded like a good idea until he said, “While we wait I can tell you more about the history of Airstream.  I could just go on and on.”   I looked at John and he was still in his almost asleep mode then I looked at the man sitting next to him and he just shook his head.  I had to laugh.  It was just too funny.   I am sorry to give such a negative spin on this.  I do remember the guide explaining why there was a motorcycle on display in the lounge area. He explained that when actress Sandra Bullock had a trailer built her “then” husband Jesse James built a motorcycle for Airstream.  I don’t really know if the motorcycle was a trade for the Airstream trailer or just for publicity.  This was the only thing we were allowed to take a picture of in the building.  They do not allow cameras in the plant.

DSCN8890

DSCN8891

DSCN8889

The rain finally slacked off about twenty minutes later and our small group ventured out into the rain to finish our tour at the plant.  Needless to say, we got wet.   Once inside the plant, it was time to put on safety goggles and put in ear plugs.  The guide walked us through each stage of construction and explained it.  I am sure it was very informative but with the ear plugs I couldn’t tell you what he said.  It probably would have been better if it was an audio guided tour.   At the end of the tour heavy rain had moved in again so we waited in the plant for a little while.   We finally made it back to the service center and visited with another couple we met on the tour.  Believe it or not that lady was shorter than I am.  Wow, that is pretty short because I am only 4’9”.  I felt tall around her. LOL

DSCN8893

These are a group of antique Airstream trailers parked out front of the service center.  They will let you photograph them but you can’t go inside.

After we got back home John changed out the anode rod and flushed the water heater.   Other than that not much else is going on around here.

Laugh everyday.  Happy trails.  Stay safe.

2 comments:

  1. We've done so many tours and there's really good ones and bad ones. It's sure fun to see how things are made and that's one of the things we look for everywhere we go.

    Great blog! Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Dad loved his Airstreams! He had a 1968 and then traded up for a 1972. We refered to them as his "silver suppositories" :-). Very nice, well constructed units. Thanks for bring back the memories.

    Phil

    ReplyDelete