Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Cutting trees and picking up trash.

John's day started very early this morning.  He was up and out by 7:30 to pick up the kids working under the Youth Conservation Corps.  This is their last week here and there are lots of projects to get done.

Judy and I checked kiosks and picked up trash along the roadsides in the refuge.  At our first stop we noticed a piece of maintenance equipment that might belong to John.  I called him and asked it he was missing some equipment.  He said, "I might." 

Here is John's brush cutter.   Judy and I waited until John came to pick it up.  We didn't want it to go missing. 

John with the YCC kids, Tawny and Wyatt. 

While Judy and I were out today we saw a Red Tailed Hawk,  a doe and a fawn, a couple of Blue Herons, eight Sandhill Cranes, a painted turtle and lots of flowers.  
Here are three of the eight Sandhill Cranes we saw today. 

Here is the painted turtle that Judy helped to cross the street.

Purple Prairie Clover
Evening Primrose (I think.  Please let me know if I am wrong)
I think this is a thistle of some kind.  Eventhough it is a weed I thought it was pretty enough to snap a picture. 

Later this afternoon I accompanied John to a couple sites with fallen trees.  The first stop was one Judy and I saw earlier in the day.   The tree needed to be removed before tomorrow's tour. 



Tomorrow is one of our off days so I am sure we will be catching up on a few household chores. 

Laugh everyday.  Happy trails.  Stay safe. 




1 comment:

  1. I see John got his chain saw certification! Looks like you are still keeping busy -- love the flower (and weed!) pictures!! :)

    ReplyDelete